About Sacred Heart Parish (Polonia) - Custer, WIVisit website
The first settlers were German and Irish families. In 1857 these settlers built a small church dedicated to St. Martin. Priests from St. Steven's Parish in Stevens Point traveled to and served this mission.
In 1858 five Polish families settled into the area. Some of these families attended St. Martin's Church. Throughout the next years, the parish was never unified. Differences in language and custom made it apparent that separate foundations would effect a happier situation. This prompted the majority of Polish families to petition Bishop Henni of to establish a new parish.
Father Bonaventure Buczynski was sent to build a new Polish church. The church was under the patronage of Saint Joseph and was located on a site east of St. Martin’s. This created a greater division between the Polish and German inhabitants. Three saloons were built in the vicinity of St. Joseph's Church. Often church services were interrupted due to the brawls and petty riots. In order to save the parish, it was suggested to move the church away from the saloons. St. Joseph's was relocated and the church was reassembled on its new site but it was destroyed in 1875 by fire and a new church, named the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, was erected—although this building was also destroyed by fire in 1934. Construction started on the current building and was completed by Christmas of 1934. St. Martin's Church in Ellis was closed in 1971 and many of its parishioners joined Sacred Heart.